Do I need a Skippers License in South Africa?

Yes, you need a Skippers Ticket (Skippers License) also called a Certificate of Competence (CoC) from a accredited training center and Instructor approved by South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA).

You will require a skipper’s ticket (COC) when piloting the following vessels:

  • The Skippers courses and licensing are for Power driven vessels under 9m in length.
  • Commercial and pleasure power driven motor vessels with 15HP.

Please note: out Skippers course do not include the required hours of experience on the water that must be recorded with an authorized skipper before you can take the test.